Tuesday 19 December 2017

I owe my success at CSPH to President Biya



- Elung Paul Che, former DG of CSPH
The Minister Delegate to the Minister of Finance, Elung Paul Che, who doubled as Director General of the Hydrocarbons Prices Stabilization Fund, CSPH, has said that if he is hailed today for a successful management of the petroleum company, he owes it all to President Biya, who set the goals and the objectives of the company and also prescribed the orientation to be followed by management. Elung spoke to the press on the sidelines of the ceremony to install the new DG of CSPH, Okie Johnson Ndoh, on Friday 15 December.
4 years 8 months at the helm of CSPH, what sentiments animate you as you finally quit this strategic petroleum company?

Former DG of CSPH, Elung Paul Che,leaving the CSPH premises with head high
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express my sentiments as I leave this beautiful company. Without mincing or wincing I should say I am leaving CSPH with my head high. I am filled with a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. I say so because when I came to CSPH, I met a company that was in distress; a company that was facing serious challenges. I recall that I inherited a CSPH whose reserves were at an all-time low. The reserves could barely sustain the company’s routine activities for another quarter. So faced with this situation I immediately set out to work. I challenged myself to do everything to overturn the bad situation at the company. And believe you me, after just one year at the company we witnessed a marked positive change in our financial records. With this positive result in just the first year, I told myself I could do better, why not. But I must state here emphatically that the orientation we gave the company was that which had been prescribed to me by the head of state upon my appointment. The goals and objectives were also set by the President. So if I was able to accomplish the task assigned me at CSPH I owe it all to the head of state and I will always thank him for giving me the opportunity to serve him and to serve the nation.

In his remarks while installing the new DG on Friday, the Board Chairman, Minister Luc Magloire Mbarga Atangana, praised you lavishly for what he described as your excellent management at CSPH. The Minister also extended to you the ‘high congratulations’ of the head of state and urged the new DG to walk in your footsteps. How did feel when you listened to the Board Chairman say this about you?

--I could only be happy for the acknowledgment. And my fulfillment was all the more because the Board Chairman said the Head of State was satisfied with the work I had done. I don’t think anyone can be indifferent to recognition by the head of state. However, I should say that instead of developing a big head I rather take such acknowledgment in all humility. And this will only push me to always strive to do better.

You could not have achieved this much-acclaimed success without the contribution of the staff of CSPH. What did you do to ensure  good collaboration from the staff of CSPH?

--That is a very good question. Like you say no manager can succeed if those around him are not ready to collaborate well or if the conditions of work are not good enough for his personnel. Like the English adage goes, no one hand can tie a bundle. So, the first principle of any manager worth the name is to first make sure his personnel are motivated. And that is what we are thought in school. However I cannot enumerate all the measures I took to motivate staffers of CSPH. But I must say I did my best to provide a working environment that made them happy and comfortable. Being a company in the petroleum sector there is no doubt that the salaries are relatively good. So apart from providing a very conducive atmosphere in their work places I also made sure they had extra bonuses for performance. But I emphasized to them that the bonuses they should receive would depend on the performance and the net profits of the company; the more the profits the more the bonus, and vice versa. That meant that if they worked hard for the company to make profits over and above its set objective then they should  have more as bonuses. I also took measures to ensure that their pensions upon retirment were reviewed upwards. I think the workers saw with me and the result is what we are talking today
  
But some members of your staff complained that you were very conservative with money; that you literally blocked all outlets at the company, unlike your predecessor who was somewhat of a Father Christmas. How do you react to this?

--(Laughs). That’s interesting! Well, I think that those who said I was tight with money have their reasons for saying so. But I believe these are perhaps who were probably benefitting some undue advantages during the previous management but which advantages I withdrew when I realized that they were not legitimate or lawful. But again you must understand that good finance managers are essentially, and more often than not, finance conservatives. Besides, it is difficult for decisions that a public manager takes in the interest of the state to be popular. People will always want you to satisfy their selfish interest at the expense of the state. But I must affirm here that I was brought to CSPH by the head of state to serve him and to help build the national economy. So for every decision that I took I first made sure it tied with the orientations given me by the head of state. Perhaps some of these decisions were not popular by the reckoning of some staffers. Yet, whenever I was sure that a decision I had taken was not at variance with the prescriptions of the head of state, I made sure the decision was fully applied. And the result is what you and I know today.


The Board Chairman advised the new DG to follow in your footsteps. If the new DG comes to you for advice what will you tell him?

--That is a tricky question. Tricky because the new DG is somebody I hold in high esteem especially because of the brilliant career he has had as a top civil servant. You heard the Board Chairman say he is a senior civil administrator of an exceptional class. This means he is somebody who has proven his mettle in the administration of public affairs. So what advice can I give to a man of such experience and savvy? I think Mr. Okie knows exactly what he is called to do at CSPH. I believe also that the President who appointed him to this position has given him the orientations to follow and has told him clearly what he expects from him. That notwithstanding, giving that I had once served at the company I think if he comes any time to seek my opinion on anything, of course, I should be readily available. But for now I can only wish him the best so that he can keep the standards we tried to set for the company and even raise it higher, why not! 

Mr. Minister very recently a local newspaper reported that CSPH “fraudulently” wired 11.5 billion Fcfa to the national air carrier Camair.Co. Can you clear the air on this?

--I laugh at times when I read such reports in the press because such unfounded reports only show how unserious and incredible our press can be some times. How can any serious press publish a story to the effect that a public company fraudulently transferred huge sums of money to another public company? Does it sound well in your ears? Did they do their investigations before doing their story? I think the newspaper in question just wanted to write something that would make it sell more copies. But I must say it and emphatically too that the newspaper got it all wrong. And I urge them to do their investigation well if they want to write about Elung Paul or the CSPH. And I must say that it is easy for the press to investigate the management of a company because management has got to do with figures. At the CSPH we have both internal and external auditors who work independently. So why not avail yourself to any or all of these auditors or the management if you need information for your report? I think the person who did that report knows little or nothing about Elung Paul because I did not see myself or the CSPH in what he wrote. 

You have had the opportunity to serve both as DG and as Minister. If you were asked to choose between being the DG of CSPH or being a Minister Delegate, which would you prefer?

--(Laughs) That is an interesting question but unfortunately I don’t have the latitude to make a choice. The only person who has the prerogative to choose what is good for whoever in our country is the head of state. You are well aware that to become DG of CSPH it was thanks to a decree of the head of state. Also to become Minister Delegate to the MINFI it was also by a decision of the head of state. So only the head of state knows why, when and how he assigns people to specific functions. Yet, for the journalist that you are I need not remind you that a Minister is a bigger authority to a DG. And because of this it is the wish, I emphasize wish, of most GM’s to want to become ministers. However, nothing stops you from becoming DG again after becoming Minister, just like nothing stops even a Prime Minister from becoming Minister in the same government. We saw it in Gabon where Oye Mba Casimir was made Minister of Plan after having served as PM. In Cote d’Ivoire Ouattara Dramane Alassane became Minister after serving as PM. In Camroon people have been appointed technical advisers in ministries after having served as ministers. So it depends on the President and not you.

Thank you Mr. Minister for finally accepting to talk to us. We esteem it a privilege because you have always shied away from the press.

--(Laughs). It is me to thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk on my stewardship at CSPH. About my shying away from the press, I think you are correct. I shy away because i think it is the best thing for me to do because I have nothing to advertise. The head of state did not appoint me to become a star of the press. He appointed me to work. And he should be the one to judge me. If I go out talking to the press each time they come calling, I may be tempted to judge myself and this to me is not the right thing to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment