Monday 9 March 2015

From Journalists’ Declaration to “Patriotic Demonstration”

How “patriotic” journalists killed a professional initiative but organized one that is none of their business
By Franklin Sone Bayen

Is the initiative by some of our colleagues to organize the “patriotic demonstration” of the February 28 in Yaounde truly a quest to defend freedoms, including the freedom of the press as one of them persistently wants me to believe? Perhaps, but I seem to have ample reason to doubt it.
    I here share with you why I believe some of the main organizers have ulterior motives than just national solidarity and     support for our troops.
    In the second week of September 2014, after the Lekie Declaration, after the accusations and counter-accusations, between the political elite of the Greater North and those of Lekie Division (Beti-Eton) over Boko Haram, I rang two colleagues, whom in my reasoning were the ideal two for a start, as they originate from the two “warring” sociopolitical segments of the country.
    I told them my concerns about the socio-political cohesion in Cameroon especially at this time of war, given the public declarations being made by certain political elite. I explained how things could deteriorate if we journalists joined the “battle”, weapons in hand, either by ceding to manipulations, a situation common within our ranks, or by taking our “natural” sides in line with our ethnic, regional, ideological or other loyalties.
    Continuing my reflection, I said this is time more than ever before when we, journalists, must put country above other petty considerations, without necessarily ceding to the manipulations of politicians that would impede our professional independence. All this, bearing in mind the critical role that communication, especially journalism can play.

    To do this, I proposed that we issue a declaration that would alert journalists to the realities and demands of the times; a call to absolute vigilance in defence of the republic, but equally to warn political elite and invite the public as witnesses, against attempts at manipulations that could endanger peace. The idea was to warn state authorities, who may want to take advantage of the precarious war setting to stifle our right to press freedom. I therefore proposed that we issue a clarion call "The Journalists’ Declaration."
    Each of the two colleagues told me they would call me after checking with the other. None of them returned my calls. After other attempts to press on with my idea, and a visit to one of them for the purpose, the one requested that I propose a draft declaration which we would all work on for a start. That I did on September 15 and emailed to him. But to this day, five months later, I neither received a call nor an acknowledgement of my draft. And of course, the project has been shelved.
    At some point in our telephone conversations over the matter, he had asked me, "Is it the role of journalists to take such an action?”
    Great then was my surprise to discover that these two colleagues are among the main organizers of the “Great Patriotic Demonstration”. I strongly believe that before and after the demonstration organized by our colleagues, for as long as we journalists, including those organizing the “patriotic demonstration” do not find ways to not submit to probable manipulations of politicians and personal interests often placed above national interest, our writing, our reporting will inflame tempers. There won’t be peace, there won’t be national solidarity. Our brave soldiers on the war front will receive echoes of discord. Their morale will be deflated.
    To clarify my doubts, I had the following text message chat with one of my two contacts on 19 February 2015 on the planned demonstration and our journalists’ declaration project. (Originally in French, I here attempt a translation):
    I: "Can I paraphrase the question you asked me a few weeks ago? ‘Is it the role journalists to organize demonstrations?’ ”
    HIM: "It is not their best role. But as citizens, nothing disqualifies them. Journalists have a heart they also love their country. It is the social responsibility of journalists.”
    I: "And to the proposal for a Journalists’ declaration, what was your argument? "Is it the role of journalists to take that kind of action?”
    HIM: "You cannot compare manipulation and defense of the Republic. Who were on the frontline in the Charlie demonstrations? Journalists. Why are we mobilizing? For freedoms, including freedom of speech. Journalists must get involved.”
    ME: "Charlie is a journalist. That is why. To warn against or bar the way to manipulations through sponsored articles or those fuelled by ethnic or regional feelings would be more citizen responsibility than a demonstration."
    HE: ... (NO FURTHER RESPONSE). END OF CONVERSATION
    Below is my email to him on 15 September 2014, being actually a cover letter for the draft journalists’ declaration. (Originally in French, I here attempt a translation):
    “Apologies for the delay. I’ve been so busy and only managed to wake up at 4am to conceived this proposed draft… I’m forced to do it in […] French for your understanding, just so may you have an overall idea and  rewrite it, before I translate the final copy in English after deliberations with a group of colleagues over the structure and content.
    I prefer this remains confidential between you and me until the final draft before we bring in X and finally, the other half a dozen colleagues.”

No comments:

Post a Comment