Friday 15 January 2016

IMF will provide technical assistance to Cameroon

-Christine Lagarde, IMF director 
The IMF boss was interviewed by the press after she met the ministers of Finance and the Economy. Amongst other things, she called for the application of rigorous discipline in the handling of revenues and expenditures
    What is the purpose of your visit to Cameroon?
    Cameroon is an old member and partner of the IMF. We are very interested in deepening and improving our relations. That is why I’m here. And I’ve always made it a point of honour to visit our best members. Cameroon is without doubt one of them. I’m particularly happy because the Prime Minister came and welcomed me today on my arrival with the delegation that accompanies me.

    On what subjects will you hold talks with Cameroonian authorities?
    I think that with Cameroonian authorities, we will discuss budgetary issues, monetary issues, issues of structural reforms, of investments and of infrastructure which are clearly priority issues of the government. And then I think we will discuss issues of regional integration at the financial and commercial levels. Furthermore we’ll discuss geopolitical issues which have an economic and financial dimension. I think particularly of the risk created by the activity of the Boko Haram group in the North of the country and the necessary integration, and of the support of the international community in the face of this kind of danger.
    And with the minister of Finance?
    With the minister of Finance and the minister of Economy, we have made an overview of the situation of the Cameroonian economy. We discussed the challenges, the exogenous shocks which the country faces and the need to apply rigorous discipline in matters of revenue and at the same time expenditures. And, for my part, we reinforced technical assistance in the form of support to Cameroon’s economy.      

No comments:

Post a Comment