Monday 7 March 2016

Hugo Broos promises to uplift Indomitable Lions



Hugo Broos
Though contested by some for poor report card, the newly appointed Indomitable Lions Coach Hugo Broos has promised to do more than his best to secure good performances for the national team. The former Belgian international who converted into coaching is already preparing for the game against South Africa in March and has an idea of the game style he would want to implant. The Belgian Champion in 1992 and 1996 with FC Bruges, 2004 with Anderlecht, two time winner of the Belgian Cup and four times Coach of the Year in Belgium spoke to The Median about African football, supporters and his reception in Cameroon. Here are Excerpts.
Welcome to Cameroon. How did you find your reception here in Cameroon?

I was very surprised; I didn’t know that presenting a coach was such an important thing for a country. I know that it happens too in Belgium but it is more intense here; too many people, journalists and guests. It was a big surprise to me, I had a different picture in mind of a small ceremony, but really it is important in this country who is the national coach.

Did that make you to measure how Cameroonians love football?

Yes, I know from some Cameroonian players in my team, when I spoke with them I understood football is very important for the people and the minister, everybody likes football and everybody depends on football. If someone said the love for football is intense in Cameroon I wouldn’t understand, but I can now feel it.

You have been in Cameroon for a few days. What have you been doing?

I have been working a lot these few days with less sleep, from one thing to the other, but it is fine. I am happy and feel great after the meetings we had with the staff, the members and president of the football federation and the minister of sports; it was really nice and I felt these people wanted to see a really good national team.


Do you have a program for the lions already?

I think that would be in the next days and weeks. The most important thing now is to know who is who, who does what and who is responsible for what. My Assistant Alexandre Belinga would provide me with more information about the team. We are already working toward the game against South Africa.

Did you know the Cameroon national team before you came here, I mean their play style?

I have watched two videos already and I can say I know a little about the players and their play style. But prior to now I knew Aboubakar, Song, Nkoulou, I know the players but it is always a little bit different when playing in the national team. The next weeks I will look for games they have played before and certainly look for DVDs of the South African team.

How well do you know the South African team, have you seen them play before?

Yes, I saw them play during the last African Nations Cup. They are a good and tough side and it would be a difficult game against them.

How can you evaluate African football, can you compare Algeria and Cameroon?

Algerian do not a strong competition, it is professional but they don’t behave like professionals, both players and officials but, they have a very good national team, with players in Europe, no local player in the national team. I know African football; I followed the last African Nations Cup, very closely, all the games were on television. I know what African football is but, there are a lot of differences in teams, some tough, some playing British football and like South Africa, play good football. I will know in six months let’s hope we qualify for the Nations Cup we qualify I will learn more.
But you know that football is full of support, fans that are like 20 million coaches?

(Laughs) You know already the World Cup in South Africa showed already what Africa is about supporters. I know what supporters; the 12th man can do for the national team. But they are also critical when the team does not do well, it is ok but I hope to know Cameroonian supporters when we win, it is more fun than we should lose.

What is your take on those who say you have not won any big international competition and not coached a national team?

I am little bit surprised that some people are making a problem of that; I know a club and national team are different. Every day you work with the players in a club but the national team for five times a year. Secondly, when training a club the choice is easier because the players are there, the coach is close to them and knows their performances, but at the end, you are playing football with 11, at the club and national team. I have to recognize that it is different but it is not a problem because there is always a first time for every coach to become the coach of a national team.

What would you do if someone tried to interfere with your job?

It is finished; I left JS Kabylie, (Algeria) because one day the president of the club wanted to make the line-up with me, so I said either you are the trainer or I become the chairman or vice versa, so don’t interfere in my role. I said this is my last game, it is finished, we won the game and were first in the league, and I left.

Do you have an idea of what you will tell the players in your first meeting?

Yes, I know exactly what I will tell the players, but I have to put it in writing.

Any message to Cameroonians; what do you promise them in the coming days?

I never promise because in football it is dangerous, the only thing I can say is that I will do more than my best for the national team to secure good results and good performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment