Wednesday 1 October 2014

Plying the B’da-Mamfe-Ekok road

Peter Tieh Ndeh, Manyu SDO
Mamfe drivers should accept competition  and stop complaining
- Peter Tieh Ndeh, Manyu SDO

There have been conflicts of late between drivers in Mamfe and their colleagues from Bamenda over the use of the Bamenda-Mamfe–Ekok road. What exactly is the problem?

Firstly, I should precise what category of drivers; I will like us to talk of transporters and not drivers. There was a problem between uncategorized transporters (drivers) in Mamfe and those in Bamenda and Ekok over the issue of carrying passengers and goods from Bamenda straight to Ekok and from Ekok straight to Bamenda without stopping in Mamfe. Drivers in Mamfe wanted that vehicles coming from Bamenda should stop in Mamfe so that passengers bound for Ekok should be transported only by Mamfe drivers; the same for vehicles leaving Ekok to Bamenda. That was the bone of contention between the two groups. It was in fact an issue of economic interest that had to be looked into carefully and appropriate solutions sought to it. But as we were watching to see how we could solve the problem, the drivers in Mamfe took the laws into their hands; they mounted road blocks on the highway and started controlling the drivers from Bamenda. This led to a serious fight between the two parties.


What measures have you taken to reinstate order among the drivers?


There first thing you must take note of is that it was a matter involving drivers who are operating illegally. I mean uncategorized transporters; the so called clandestine (clando) drivers. Clando drivers are not supposed to ply the high-ways because they don’t have the requisite license and they don’t belong to any category of legalized transporters. Some of their vehicles do not even have number plates; in fact most of the vehicles are not even registered. So they are actually operating illegally. These clandestine drivers wanted me to sign an order banning Bamenda drivers from crossing through Mamfe and getting straight to Ekok; they wanted me to authorize only Mamfe drivers to go to Ekok. In fact the drivers were urging me to sign an order legalizing their illegal activity (clandestine transportation). So i said no, I cannot do that. If I did that then I would have surrendered control of road security to an illegal group. But I told them it is impossible and unacceptable. However, and to cut a long story short, I ordered the mayor of Mamfe to look into the issue and find an appropriate solution to it. And I should say the mayor did a good job and things have returned to normalcy. The matter has been solved and peace now reigns between the warring parties.

Some press reports alleged that you were partial in solving the problem; that you took sides with the Bamenda drivers because you hail from the North West like them and that you also own some of the vehicles that ply on that road. What is your reaction to these allegations?

Let me put back the question to those who made those allegations. Are they saying that the SDO that I am will allow my self to play the advocate for Bamenda drivers simply because I hail from NW? Is that possible? So they mean that if the SDO of Manyu were a South Westerner or a Manyu man or another Cameroonian who is not from the North West, he could sign an order authorizing an illegal activity? You must know that illegal transportation is punishable by a fine of 500.000 frs, and blocking the road illegally is a serious crime. So how do you expect an SDO to sign an order surrendering road security to an illegal body? This cannot happen. People should try to reason. In fact I feel hurt when elites of an area surrender their thinking to be done by idiots on the street. I use these words with a lot of firmness because it hurts. Some people even said I took bribes to support one party. They even named a prominent person in town as the one through whom the bribe was given. I challenge any body who ever gave me bribe or found me taking bribe to say it publicly and loud. I don’t ever accept bribes, and that is why I always insult and denounce any of my collaborators who are reported to be perpetrating corruption. In fact I feel hurt for some body to say i supported Bamenda drivers because i hail from Bamenda. I think is should remind these people that I went to Bamenda for the first time when I was posted there in 1994 as a civil servant. I was born else where in Cameroon. And Mamfe drivers should know that as SDO it is my duty to protect and promote the economic activity of the entire nation not only that of Mamfe. That is why I cease this opportunity to urge Mamfe drivers to work hard and compete with the Bamenda drivers, some of whom have already obtained the required license and are now plying on the same road without qualms. Mamfe drivers should take advantage of the strategic location of the town instead of complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment