Monday 23 November 2015

I feel stronger after my Addis Ababa performance

Silver

-Silver, Reggae artiste
The renowned music diva was the lone artiste that was invited by the Peace and Security Commission of the African Union to perform on the occasion of a third retreat of the Pan-African Network of the Wise (Pan-Wise) in the AU headquarters last week. Upon return to Cameroon, Silver related to Douglas A. Achingale details about the circumstances that led to his invitation, the performance proper, the sense of fulfillment that he had from the event, amongst other amazing things. Read on. 
  
    The Median learned that you were in Addis Ababa – Ethiopia – last week for a musical performance. What was it all about?
    I was invited by the African Union (AU) under the Peace and Security Commission which organized a third retreat of the Pan-African Network of the Wise (Pan-Wise) in Addis Ababa from 16-17 November 2015, to present my famous song “La Paix”, which was highly appreciated by the Department of Peace and Security of the AU. Pan-Wise is a Commission of the Department of Peace and Security of the AU which constitutes former and sitting Heads of States, ministers, diplomats, generals, religious figures such as bishops, and civil society and NGO representatives of member countries of the AU as well as observers from western countries like the US, Germany, France, Spain, the UK, Italy, etc. The theme of this year’s retreat was “Silencing the guns for 2020 and the promotion of cultures and peace in Africa”.
    How did the officials of AU get to know about Silver and his album “La Paix”?
    What they told me when they called me on skype was that they had decided during their deliberations to have an artiste with an album on peace. So they went to you tube and typed “peace” and many albums with songs on that theme came out. When they listened to the albums and watched the videos, they unanimously chose mine which they said perfectly suited the context and message of the retreat. I was then called and informed that I had been selected. I confirmed my participation and was told the modalities for travelling. I left Yaounde on Sunday 15 November and performed the following day.
    Could you give us a brief but graphic description of how it all happened out in Addis Ababa?
    My performance took place in one of the banquet halls of the six-star Sheraton hotel in Addis Ababa.  When I got there for my sound balance, I was presented the program even before the delegates started arriving. And I saw that there were just three items on it. The first was the President of the Commission’s welcome address, the second a word from the President of the Department of Peace and Security, and the third and last a presentation of the reggae-born Cameroonian musician, that is, my humble self. I was designated as the pan-African peace artiste.
    You may want to know that I travelled with the Cameroon flag, but I was told that the event was an African rather than a Cameroonian affair. So I was asked to put aside my country’s flag and handed the AU flag to perform with. It was a semi-life performance. When I was announced, I came into the hall not through the main entrance, but from the back door. And as I walked in, I was doing an acapella of the main song (“La Paix”) which attracted everybody’s attention. The applause they gave me was simply thunderous.
    To be honest with you, Mr. Journalist, that was the first time I was doing such a grandiose show. After singing the main song, I went into the depth of my repertoire and sang all the songs of the album, namely “No More War”, “No to Corruption”, “Not All That Glitters is Gold”, “Right is your Right”, “Wonders Shall Never End”, and “Someday”. Again, the themes of these songs are all directly tied to what was discussed in the plenary sittings, reason why they invited me to perform at the retreat.

    So for how long did your performance last?
    While my performance lasted one full hour, the retreat went on for two hours. Food and drinks were being served while I was on stage. After I finished performing I went down the rostrum and joined the delegates at table.
    Did you say you were the only Cameroonian musician to be invited?
    I was the lone musician invited for the retreat.
    Didn’t you have difficulties obtaining a visa at the embassy, given that your invitation came at short notice?
    I was told on skype that I would be sent an invitation and electronic ticket which I should download and travel with, and that I would get my visa upon arrival at the airport in Addis Ababa. I downloaded the items but was a little jittery when I was going to the airport. Behold, the nervousness in me disappeared as soon as I checked in because I had not the least difficulty at the airport. The documents I presented there were processed with absolute ease, which meant that everything had been pre-arranged. That was when I began to see the importance of the event I was going to attend. 
      What happened when you landed in the AU headquarters? 
  
    After six hours of flight, we landed in Addis Ababa. On one of the counters at the airport I saw the inscription “Visa on arrival” and presented myself there. It took no time for the airport officials to hand my visa to me - a one-month visa. After that was done, a vehicle came and picked me up and took me to Sheraton Hotel.
    Were there any financial benefits in this whole arrangement?

    Obviously! As is the tradition with the AU, the treatment given me was the same given to all the other delegates. We slept in rooms that cost 500 – 600 dollars, we were offered breakfast, lunch and supper, we were given free transportation, we were given stipends and made to enjoy other advantages.
    Was this your first performance out of Cameroon?
    Yes, it was. And if I waited for so long, it was because I never wanted to rush or force anything. I never wanted to go into any negotiations with friends to travel and do any kind of thing abroad. I wanted to be invited officially in respect of the rules and regulations of the game. My Ethiopia outing is thus a dream come true.
     So how does Silver feel after the ex-cathedra performance in Addis Ababa?
    I feel stronger than before and much more inspired because even when I was returning home with the energy I got from Addis Ababa, I started writing a song on the plane which I’ll include in the new album I’m preparing titled “Stop the War”. In it, I’m asking the AU to stand up; I’m asking Pan-Wise to be steadfast; I’m calling on African Presidents to desist from changing their various constitutions just because they want to stay in power forever.
    May we be privy to when this album will be out?
    Everything being equal, the master copy of “Stop the War” will be available before 15 December 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment