Sunday 29 January 2017

Fallouts of Anglophone Crisis:

Agbor Balla condemns misinformation & intoxication on social media
In a voice message supposedly recorded in Kondengui prison cell and posted on facebook, Barrister Nkongho Felix AgborBalla, said some if not most of the information circulating on social media are false and only intended to misinform and incite hatred, division and violence. Balla says such misinformation does not help the current situation in the country and should stop.
By Ojong Steven Ayukogem in Yaounde
Barr. Agbor Balla 
The president of the now outlawed Consortium has joined his voice to that of government in condemning the use of the social media to spread messages that are false and intended to incite the public to hatred, division and violence.
                In a voice message supposedly recorded from his prison cell at Kondengui prison, Barrister Nkongho Felix AgborBalla frowned at those who are posting false, unverified information on the social under the cover supporting the Anglophone struggle. He said such false, intoxicating information not only goes contrary with the purpose and objectives of the Anglophone struggle, it also helps to spoil the struggle.
                Understood to be a message intended primarily to debunk claims that went viral on social media to the effect that he had been sold out and betrayed to the authorities by his lifetime friend, colleague and brother, Barrister Sichui John Kameni, Balla regretted in a rather vexatious tone that the information circulating on social media about Kameni are false and very injurious to his (Kameni’s) person and his public image and honour.
                “All these information circulating on social media that Barrister Kameni betrayed me by showing my house to the authorities is false; it is damaging to Kameni’s image and this is something I don’t appreciate,” said Balla in his voice message, wherein he also warned people to desist from using the social media to spread unverified and intoxicating informations. 
                “Let us not incite hatred and division between Anglophones and Francophones,” Balla said, reiterating that the Anglophone struggle is not an ethnic or language problem; but a problem of the institutions.
                “As Anglophones we have no problem with our Francophone brothers. Whether you are Anglo-Bamileke, Anglo-Bassa or Anglo-Ewondo, we are people of the same country; we are one and the same people,” he reiterated, recalling that even the Prime Minister of West Cameroon in 1966, Augustine NgomJua, included some Anglo-Bamis and Anglo-Bassas in his government.
                “This spirit of our erstwhile politicians is what I stand for; Balla said,” reminding his hearers of his stance for peace and non-violence.
                “I stand for peace, I stand for non-violence. Let us stop victimizing and stigmatizing our friends and brothers some of whom are helping us and have stood by us in this very challenging times,” Balla concluded.
In a reaction to Balla’s voice message, journalist and blogger, Franklin SoneBayen, said social media enthusiasts should leave Barrister Kameni alone because the betrayers of the struggle can only be members and supporters of the struggle. Bayen wondered how people could accuse someone who does not support or sympathize with a cause of betraying that cause. He noted that Barrister Kameni was not part of the lawyers’ strike and he did not hide his indignation with the members of the consortium and the manner in which they pursued their struggle.

                “Balla was not on the run, so no one could have betrayed him. JK did not support the lawyers’ strike so he could not betray the struggle; calling him Judas Iscariot is wrong,” said Bayen, noting that the real Judas Iscariots of the Anglophone struggle are within the consortium. 
                See full text of Balla’s message below.

Full text of Barr. AgborBalla’s message from Kondengui
My people, the information circulating on social media to the effect that Barrister Kameni John is the one who showed my house to the police is false. I think this is an attack on his person and it is something I don’t appreciate.
                I was arrested not in my house; we were arrested around Santa Barabara in Molyko with Dr. Fontem and nobody had shown my house to the police. I think everybody especially the special services know where I live. Before my arrest It had been public knowledge that I live where I leave. So, please, let us not try to victimize our friends and brothers who are supporting us in one way or the other. This is a very challenging period, so let us avoid stigmatizing people.
                Barrister Kameni would not do such a thing to me. I know him more than everybody else; we might have our differences but trust me, he cannot do such a thing to me and he has shown enormous support for me ever since I was arrested. So please let us move forward; let us not incite people to hatred.
                You all know that I have always advised people not to preach hatred or division. I have always maintained that our struggle is not about Francophones and Anglophones; it is a problem with the institutions.
                We should not incite hatred against Francophones, we should not incite hatred against Anglo-Bassas, Anglo-Bamis or Anglo-Ewondos. We are all one people.
                If you can remember, I posted on facebook that PM Jua’s 1966 cabinet had Anglophone Bamilekes and Anglophone Bassas in it, and that is my stand.

                Our struggle is a non-violent struggle; I stand for peace. So please, please let us not stigmatize or victimize our brothers. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment