Sunday 29 May 2016

Meet Bala 2 K:

Buea-based music star, poised to better Cameroonian music
Bala Emmanuel Kimbi
For a while Cameroonians have lost interest in home based music. Most music lovers complain that Cameroonian artistes and song writers are either not inspired at all, or find pleasure in copying from foreign musicians; notably from Nigeria. The fact that Nigerian music is much more listened to, and her artistes more celebrated in Cameroon at the expense of Cameroonian music is a problem that has for long begged for solutions. Lately, Cameroonian musicians have taken the challenge to address this setback. They have agreed on making Cameroonians love and give attention to Cameroon music at the expense of foreign artistes. Their fight seems positive and is paying off. In just a short while, Cameroon music has gone viral; it has won awards, got several nominations in the Afrcan continent and across the world. Buea is so far on the record for producing Cameroons finest musicians and music producers; likewise recording labels. One of such fast rising music stars based in Buea is Bala Emmanuel Kimbi; popularly known as “Bala 2 K”. The Median learned that in just one week, Bala’s video and track is gone viral across the globe getting every single attention. Its just one week Bala’s released single has got over 3.000 views and is about now being nomitated for an award in Nigeria. Such quick prominence and stardom begs answers. The Median’s Ajongakou Santos spoke to Bala 2 K and sought to know the secret behind his stardom. Read on:
                Who is Bala 2 K?
                I am Bala Emmanuel Kimbi; an Afro-pop artist. I am the second son in a family of three boys. Bala 2 K is a final year Journalism and Mass Communication student in the University of Buea. Bala 2 K is that young artist that has the strong conviction and passion of making Cameroonian music better, greater, and nicer. I have started already and have a long way to create that great impact.
                Why the Name Bala 2 K?
                Am called Bala Emmanuel Kimbi. The “2” in my artistic name represents the fact that I am the second Bala in the family. The “K” stands for Kimbi; which is my last name.
                Tell me, why Afro pop?
                Hahahaha….. Ehhhhhhh, I chosed Afro pop because its trending and taking the lead in Cameroon and across the world. I am very comforatble with Afro pop and believe I will use it drive Cameroon to its dreamland of popularity.
                What does Bala sing about?
                Bala 2 K: hahahaha. That’s really interesting. I sing about societal ills such as protitution. I also sing about love and gospel as well.
                Where is your inspiration from?
                I grew up in a music environment. My father loves music, so do I. In short, my family is my inspiration.
                How long has Bala been in music?
                For 6 years now. I had to slow and concentrate on my studies. I believe upon graduation I will have ample time for my music.
                Your first track; “Kiss U”. What does that mean?
                Its outstanding, its surprising. I want to get the attention of audience. In the track “Kiss U”, I am expressing love in a way that has not been expressed before. Its different from other love songs.

                That particular  song is every where……. How did you do it; in just a short while?
                I am convinced that my melody and Message of love is what keeps my fans and followers. The melody and the message amconvined is keeping people connected to my vedeo on and off You Tube. “Kiss U” is love expressed sincerely. I am not imitating; i am telling the story like no one else has done before .
                How popular have you been with this track?
                Very very popular. I am becoming the Buea star. When the audio was released earlier this year, I received a lot of applause, and calls telling me that the track was already making waves in Bamenda, Douala, Limbe, Buea.  At Abakwa FM in Bamenda, my track was named 3rd track of the week. Recently I was nominated by a Nigerian online platform (jayie.com) as one the five upcoming artistes in Africa. It’s a weekly award. Fuzz ODG from Ghana, Boss Kid, Cameroon. Social Media is making the songest of all these moves.
                Do you work alone?
                Not at all… I work with Dreamzline Entertainment (Am artist with a record label there). My track and I are getting a lot of support too from ClarriseNdinge- Africa Magic corresspondent for Cameroon. A lot has been done for me already. My song will be aired on Africa Magic this week, so my fans should watch out on it. Though I am yet to find a competent manager to manage me, I keep hoping for the best. I am working with a lot of media houses. So far my track has been aired on DBS TV in Douala, CMTV, CM2. Many tell me the song is on Boom TV and many other places. Am still working on Trace Africa; the track will similarly be aired there soon. Bala 2 K is also working with many radio stations across the South West and the Littoral Regions; especially Chariot Radio (FM 93.5) that has given me so much of airtime. I have about 3000 views in just one week. I believe we will get there.  I have had so many people who want to sign me, both national and international. The truth is we are not in a rush. With patience, my team and I will make a perfect choice.
                What have been your challenges so far?
                My studies are slowing me down. But that’s not for long anyway given that I will be done with my degree soon. I value my education so much so that I cannot drop it completely for music sake. Financial problems (am having shows that are paying off), many wanted to buy my song at CFAF 800.000. My Family; especially my mum never supported  my music; it always was a problem to her until recently when she called to congratulate me after watching the Video.
                Any future Plans?
                Bala 2 K: Of course there is a lot in store for my fans and the world. I have a lot of songs recorded; still thinking of the right way to release them. Am giving “KISS U” some time to create much impact before I continue. My next project will be an EP (a combination of songs).
                Thanks so much Bala for talking to The Median.
                The pleasure was mine. To all my fans, all my followers I say, keep believing in Cameroonian Music. Keep watching out on Bala 2 K because good and better things are yet to come.



1 comment: